Monday, July 24, 2006

The titular Good Glop

My sister B says that the Good Glop this is named after is not the generic "pile of good stuff" cooking that I recalled it as being, but instead a specific dish. This is not a dish that I intend to cook (or eat), but here it is, for reference sake:

canned green beans
canned cream of mushroom soup
cooked ground beef

all above stirred together, then topped with tater tots and baked.

What I THOUGHT Good Glop referred to was the sort of cooking I once did, where I would chop and saute various vegetables, spices, perhaps chicken or fake meats, and dump the pile on some rice or pasta. "Pile cooking," as it were.

I suppose in some ways most pasta or stir frying is a form of pile cooking, but I prefer calling it by the base starch ingredient now, rather than "Good Glop" or pile cooking. For instance, onion, garlic, asparagus, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, herbs sauteed, the tomatoes yielding liquid to create sauce with some balsamic vinegar, all served over jasmine rice - this would now be called "Rice and Vegetables." An uninspired name, perhaps, but descriptive of what has occurred.

I often enjoy the meals we create from "whatever is in the refridgerator" as above, more than ones where we go purchase the items specifically for the dish, because stranger things must come together, and often do. It makes me feel ingenious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home