Sunday, July 16, 2006

Breads today

From No Need to Knead, by Suzanne Dunaway. My mother loves this book, and I recently saw it at a time when I was considering starting to bake breads. On the one hand, nothing wrong with kneading, but on the other, this book promises to make quick bread. I have always thought bread took about 6 hours to make, and I am very busy, and knew that would be too long, so I thought the No Need to Knead would be a good starting point. My experience thus far is not that it takes six hours to make bread, or if it does, it's a very low-labor six hours, which I can handle.

I made two breads today, one wheat sourdough, and one focaccia-like bread shaped in a semi-pretzelloid fashion.

Wheat Sourdough (or Filoncino Integrale)

I started this one the night before, and the biga (sponge) oozed over the counter. I made it, it took a long time, and in the end, it looked like the wheat bread at Subway sandwich shop, and tasted worse than that shop's plain, boring bread. I will not make this one again.

---

Pretzelline breads (Fougasse de Colloiure)

These were delicious. I called them pretzelline because they look like a pretzel and have some of the chewiness of one. The book calls them the italian name above for their resemblance to a ladder. As the book suggested, they have a good buttery taste without adding much fat to the recipe. I think the problem with these will be that they are not good to make sandwiches of, and probably will not keep well, either, but they are so delicious and fun, that probably won't be a problem as they will get eaten quickly.

Will add recipe tomorrow when I make these again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home