Monday, July 10, 2006


Jealous of the many foodblogs I've been reading, I want to make my own record of the stuff I've been trying. I need to remember what I've done, what worked, what didn't, what the spousal response was, what I thought could be improved. I'm hypercritical of my cooking, and every time I cook a particular item, I think "but this could be better with x, y, z." If I write those things down, perhaps it will help.

Things I cook by:
  • Recipes - some foods, like the Carrot Cake, require following the recipe pretty much exactly.
  • Semi-recipes - saw an item in a book or magazine, made something in the spirit of that item. Macaroni Casserole was last night's version.
  • Non-recipes - a pot of beans or chili - no written recipe. Changes from time to time. Means that the beans from last month might be better than this month's, but I have no idea what was in them, how they are different. Salads are in the same camp.
Hopefully I will learn to take nice pictures of the foods, too. I wonder how you do that when the foods are sort of ugly and brown by nature. Garnish? Pretty dishes? Backgrounds? So much to find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home